If the issue of ACPA/NASPA consolidation is put to a vote by the membership of the two organizations this fall, Student Affiliate members will not be able to vote. As a Student Affiliate and dedicated member of NASPA, I believe this is wrong and I am working to change this. In early June, I will submit to the NASPA Board of Directors a proposal that requests that Student Affiliates be allowed to vote on the issue of consolidation. I urge you to review the draft of this proposal and share your thoughts and support.
In brief, the proposal argues that Student Affiliates:
- Are the future of NASPA and have a significant stake in the future of NASPA and the broader student affairs profession
- Include in their ranks members who are experienced student affairs professionals dedicated to NASPA and those who have proven their dedication to NASPA deserve a voice in its future
- Likely represent the most diverse group of NASPA members and are not proportionately represented by Voting Delegates or Professional Affiliates
If you are a Student Affiliate of NASPA, please:
- Add your name to the proposal by editing it directly, leaving a comment below, or sending me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, current institution, degree status (i.e. Master’s student, Doctoral student, or Doctoral candidate), and any current or former leadership positions you’ve held in NASPA.
- Spread the word to your colleagues and fellow students by sending them a link to this blog post (https://mistakengoal.com/blog/2010/05/24/naspa-will-not-allow-student-members-to-vote-on-acpanaspa-consolidation/ or http://tinyurl.com/29oqh9h).
If you are not a Student Affiliate of NASPA, please share this with students by sending them a link to this blog post (https://mistakengoal.com/blog/2010/05/24/naspa-will-not-allow-student-members-to-vote-on-acpanaspa-consolidation/ or http://tinyurl.com/29oqh9h).
If you have any questions or suggestions about this topic, the proposal, or how we should proceed from here, please share them by leaving a comment or e-mailing me directly.
We are the future of NASPA and student affairs. Let’s ensure we have a voice in that future.